Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Banana Jumbo Pumpkins



The unidentified cucurbit that self-seeded from the chooks' scratchings, that was growing over the chook house, was a prolific bearer of Banana Jumbo pumpkins. A large part of the final harvest is shown, stockpiled in the "spare" chookhouse. The weird-looking one hanging in the wire of the chookhouse grew like that through the wire. The pumpkins are as tough as old boots - reckon I could cut them with an axe more easily than with a kitchen knife - so getting that one out of the wire presents a problem. I don't want to risk slashing myself with the kitchen knife by trying to cut it out; don't want to cut the wire and have to mend it; don't want to even think about attacking it with an axe. In the meantime it's a good talking point. We've eaten the two biggest already, one was over 2 feet long. I think starting with the biggest first was a wise move, we're struggling to get through large amounts of pumpkin soup, and even pumpkin scones are starting to pall, I'm told. Still, these pumpkins have a lovely flavour and hold their shape when baked, but also make gorgeous soup. Can't see that I'll want to grow any other pumpkin next year, they're my favourites!