Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Lucky Story
















NB the photos load onto the page in the opposite order to the order that I load them. It's not my fault the photos are backward compared to the story!!

For my dear friend Lucky, who is a self-confessed rhubard (her keyboard spells it like that - the keyboard has a virus that mis-spells things on purpose!) killer, will be crying with envy in her skinny Coke when shee sees "rhubarb alley"(photo #3). I can't remember exactly how many, there's well over a dozen rhubarb plants here, along the left-hand side of the sawdust path. I think I originally planted out 21 plants that had been divided up from 6 or 8 older plants, so I really didn't expect them all to survive. Together with the blackberries(photo #2) (the camera wanted to focus on the fencepost rather than the fruit, sorry) that are growing on the side fenceline, and the apples (photo #1) (this shot is of the Red Delicious apple tree) the rhubarb contributes to a fruity feast. In fact, a recent lunch consisted of cucumber-on-toast followed by stewed apple+rhubarb+blackberries with homemade soy icecream. All the fresh food came out of my garden, what a great feeling!