Lush abundance

Instead of working on more "important" things, I took the digicam for a walk around the garden late this afternoon. I couldn't quite get the same angle because I had been standing on the back of the ute when I took the 8th Dec photos. The greenery and mulch predominate today, whereas the neat edging and the paths were the main features 2 months ago.
At harvest stage are: Blue Lake and Purple King beans, red cabbage, radish (yuk! I grow them to sell), rhubarb (ditto radish comment), apple cucumbers, rocket, onions (although they're buried under the self-seeded tomatoes and I keep forgetting they're there!), gold zucchinis, capsicums, and herbs including chives, curly parsley, thyme, oregano, salad burnet, italian parsley, mint, rosemary. It won't be long till I'll be picking sugarloaf cabbage, silverbeet, tomatoes by the score, golden nugget pumpkins, and a few carrots that actually did what my friend Trudy said they would when she told me to plant my carrot seed with the radish seed for better germination. And later still will be purple carrots (the best germination rate I've had for any carrots - and they didn't have radishes to nurture them), turnips, beetroot, blackjack zucchini, giant russian cucumbers (... can't remember what other cucurbits I planted in that bed), potatoes, peas, sweet corn, banana jumbo pumpkins, broccoli, cauliflowers, jerusalem artichokes (if I'm dying of starvation, or want to sell them!), maybe even some eggplants, although they'll probably be tiny if they ever get growing.
And it still feels like I haven't planted enough, even when I walk around the fruit and vegie shop thinking "I don't need that, there's some in the garden" and realise that the garden is saving me between $10-$20 a week.
Oh, and I could be on the verge of a bumper apple crop. Both red delicious and jonathons are heavily laden. Unfortunately, they all seem to have visitors - codling moth. They stew up well when they're still a bit green, before the moths totally ruin the fruit, I'm told.

<< Home