There she grows!

And so, a month later, it's easy to see that the vegie patch is a goer.
In the foreground, outside the fence, are some self-seeded somethings, which I expect are pumpkins, most likely to be either jap or blue (because that's what I buy from the stupidmarket so their seeds would have been in the compost). The X-path leads from the sheet-of-tin gate, which is very difficult to slide open and shut so I only go in there when I absolutely have to.
Nestled into the left internal corner of the X is a forest of pale green Freckles lettuce seedlings. They are cheek by jowl, which is great because I can pick a couple of handfuls of individual leaves at a time and they just keep growing and fill up the spaces. Below and to the left of the lettuce is a patch of Pak Choi, alongside a row of radishes and a row of struggling silverbeet.
Hidden behind the potential pumpkins is a row of tomato seedlings. Along the fenceline at the right are a few peas, but mostly beans. In the top corner of the X are some shallot bulbs - am thinking that if I snipped the tops I could use them to flavour a stir fry, along with some selected Pak Choi leaves.
Top left corner are the baby herbs - coriander, basil, continental parsley, hmm can't remember what else. Right internal corner of the X is a little patch of salad burnet. There's a feral rocket seedling in there somewhere too. I bet Dave will do a little dance when I make a salad of homegrown lettuce, burnet, rocket, slivered radish and a sprinkle of coriander.

Dave is happy with how his apple trees are surviving in their new bigger pots - see photo.
He drove out to the 25-acre bush block today and was upset to find that the kangaroos have gotten into the fledgling apple patch, and have broken a lot of the trees. He trimmed them up as best he could. I'm hoping this will motivate him to get to work on the paperwork for the new house. Once we live out there, the dogs will keep the roos away. Plus, of course, we'll invest in some serious fencing ... when we can afford it.

<< Home