Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Update on the Kit Home

We have signed the contract to purchase a kit home, and are now waiting for the plans to come back in the mail. By my estimation, should be no later than early June. We are only getting the kit to lock-up stage, i.e. frame, roof and guttering, windows and external doors, cladding - because that's all we've got the money for. We will have to get a slab laid by a concreter before the kit arrives, then once we've got it that far we can apply for a loan to finish it. Apparently an unassembled kit is not worth anything to borrow against.

The house kit is coming from PAAL Homes, and we are building a slightly varied Lawson 3:

http://www.paal.com.au/kit-homes/lawson-3.asp

This is the smallest house that we thought we could live in with Littlemiss and Littlefella without feeling totally squished. It's tiny, 91.8 square metres - just under 10 squares. We have moved some walls and varied some windows and doors, so the bedrooms will be bigger and as a result the lounge/dining/kitchen will be a rectangle 5m wide and 7.2m long. It's much bigger than the 8m x 8m cottage that Littlefella, the Feral Teenager and I lived in ... well, actually, in the end the Feral Teenager lived in an old caravan in the carport, which was very convenient when Dave moved in...

Anyhow, I digress.

It won't be too dreadfully squashy, especially as I plan to have some storage space (Christmas tree etc) in the ceiling cavity, but there's only so much stuff we will be able to fit in. We are currently living in a 4 bedroom house, and we've got way too much furniture for the new house. We had a garage sale last weekend, I've got an ad in the local paper to sell some more stuff, and we'll have a BIG garage sale at the end of the year. We'll be on alternative power, so the mains fridge and automatic washing machine won't be of much use. The twin-tub washing machine will do a week's washing in an hour on a generator, though, so it will come into its own again. It's lurking in the shed waiting for its moment of glory to arrive ;)

I'm looking forward to having the motivation to simplify the physical possessions in my life. I'm looking forward to having a house of my (our) own that we can do what we want to it. Even better, O.H.-J.O.Y.-O.H.-B.L.I.S.S!! - I can do some serious G.A.R.D.E.N.I.N.G. again, wahooie!!!

There's a little matter of how my carpal tunnel syndrome is gonna cope with building a house, but oh well, needs must.

It's all good.

Of course :-D